This section sets forth the important areas for missionary training, listing resources for each area. The IMTN believes that each of the resources presented in this section may be of value and help in missionary training, but does not necessarily endorse the particular theological or methodological standpoint of each resource nor guarantee the content, quality or accreditation of any particular programme.
If you would like to recommend any resource for inclusion here, please use the Contact Us page. The IMTN Steering Committee reserves the right to decide whether resources can be included in the Resource Centre.
All missionary training should include the following essentials:
- Spiritual formation and personal development including:
- Integrity of Character
- Anointing with the Holy Spirit
- Emotional and physical health
- Family life and member care
- Relational skills
- Biblical and theological knowledge
- Essential missionary skills and knowledge: language learning and understanding how to work in other cultures, evangelism, church planting and multiplication, relating to the sending church, missionary team work and an understanding of the biblical basis of missions and an understanding of its current practice and history through the ages.
- Pastoral experience and pastoral training (if engaging in training leaders of new churches).
- Training for specialised areas of ministry relevant to individual ministries, such as orphan care.
- Work experience and suitable professional and academic training: to obtain employment or begin a business if going as a tentmaker.
- Practical skills e.g. handyman.