All missionary training should include the following essentials:
1. Spiritual formation and personal development including:
- Integrity of Character
- Anointing with the Holy Spirit
- Emotional and physical health
- Family life and member care
- Relational skills
3. Essential missionary skills and knowledge: language learning and understanding how to work in other cultures, evangelism, church planting and multiplication, relating to the sending church, missionary team work and an understanding of the biblical basis of missions and an understanding of its current practice and history through the ages.
4. Pastoral experience and pastoral training (if engaging in training leaders of new churches).
5. Training for specialised areas of ministry relevant to individual ministries, such as orphan care.
6. Work experience and suitable professional and academic training: to obtain employment or begin a business if going as a tentmaker.
7. Practical skills e.g. handyman.